9/11 SHS Memorial Fund, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation established to honor the memory of five Seaford High School graduates who died in the September 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. We remember and honor the memories of Thomas Haskell, Timothy Haskell, John Perry, Robert Sliwak and Michael Wittenstein.
We now accept VENMO at the following address: SHS MEMORIAL FUND @SHS_911_MemorialFund (be sure to add your name).
The Seaford 9/11 Memorial Committee’s motto is SERVICE, CHARACTER, and COMMITMENT. The committee has lived up to the commitment made by so many after the terrorist attack on our country to “Always Remember.” On November 22, 2002, the Seaford High School 9/11 Memorial was dedicated to our five alumni and all those who perished on September 11, 2001. As of January 2023, the Seaford 9/11 Memorial has been listed on the National 9/11 Registry. The 9/11 National Registry has rated our memorial and related programs as one of the “most outstanding” from over 1,000 memorials in its records. The overwhelming support from the Seaford community has been the committee’s inspiration for numerous annual initiatives, such as:
- Annual Patriot Award scholarships have been presented each year since June 2002. One Hundred twelve (112) Seaford High School graduating students since 2002 have received an amount in excess of $245,000. This year’s Patriot Award recipients are Ryan Baldwin, William Cascio, William Kind, Nicole Nietsch, and Jamie Young. These students exemplify the committee’s motto of Service, Character, and Commitment.
- Honorary Patriot Awards have been bestowed upon fifty-six (56) individuals who have made significant contributions to our community, including this year to Nick Bilotta, Elaine S. Tamsen, and Joseph M. Mottola (SHS ’81)
- Since September 2003, a 9/11 Memorial Candle Lighting Ceremony has been held at our commemorative plaza on every September 11th.
- Patriot Award and Honorary Patriot Award recipients are honored annually at our Patriot Award dinner which is held every June to honor our five alumni and the new recipients of both the Patriot Award and Honorary Patriot Award.
- The Seaford 9/11 Memorial Committee’s ongoing mission to educate students about the historical events of September 11, 2001 and the value of community service has included donations of 9/11 history books, trees, field trips to the National 9/11 Memorial in New York City, and sponsored assemblies pertinent to service, patriotism and the events of September 11, 2001. We now have created a 911 Museum Brochure for Senior Class Field Trip that our students and community members can use when visiting the site in New York City.
- Since 2009, in recognition of September 11th as a National Day of Commitment to Service, hundreds of community members and students annually have presented Pledges of Commitment for Community Service at our 9/11 Memorial Candle lighting ceremony on September 11th.
- Hundreds of community members annually take part in our Commitment to Service program which has inspired the addition of a School / Community Service recognition on the Seaford High School diploma.
- The Memorial Brick Program continues to memorialize individuals and generates funds in support of the maintenance and preservation of the memorial. We now accept VENMO payments.
- Hundreds of community members annually make Pledges of Commitment for Community Service that are presented at our 9/11 Memorial Candle Lighting Ceremony.
- Our 2002-2022 Memorial Commemorative Coin Fundraiser helps the committee to fulfill its mission to Always Remember.
- The Seaford High School’s “Pathways to Service” Program, highlighting the theme of “Service-Character-Commitment,” was created and inspired by our committee. The program provides opportunities for school and community service to every student throughout their four years at Seaford High School. The official designation of School/Community Service recognition is on the Seaford High School diploma.
- Gifts are made annually to the schools in the Seaford School District.
- Three World Trade Center artifacts and a Survivor Tree cutting were added to our memorial, dedicated at the 2016 SHS 9/11 Memorial Candle Lighting ceremony.
***CALENDAR INFORMATION: Fall SHS 9/11 Memorial Committee planning meetings with take place via ZOOM with a 6:20 PM sign in and a 6:30 PM start. The fall dates are: Thursday, October 12th, Thursday, November 2nd, and Thursday, December 7th. Committee members will receive the ZOOM invitation to their email a week prior to the meeting from Lynda Schachner.
Acknowledgement of the 9/11 Committee Mission – September 2023
The SHS 9/11 Memorial Committee has been true to its mission for the past 22 years to “Always Remember” our five Seaford High School alumni and all others that were lost on September 11, 2001.
This year we host our 22nd annual Candle Lighting Memorial Remembrance Ceremony on September 11, 2023. Please join us at Seaford HS at 6:45 PM.
This past June, in memory of Tom, Tim, John, Rob and Michael, the 2023 Patriot Awards were presented to five deserving Seaford High School seniors. These students were recognized due to their “Service, Character and Commitment” which was demonstrated over their four years at Seaford High School. Since 2002 Patriot Awards and scholarships have been awarded to 112 Seaford High School students in excess of $245,000.
The SHS 9/11 Memorial Committee is also committed to educate students about the events of September 11, 2001. This year to fulfill this commitment the Seaford 9/11 Memorial Committee is making a $2,000.00 donation for the SHS Class of 2024’s field trip to the New York City 9/11 Memorial & Museum.
Annually the committee has sponsored the Commitment to Service program for the Seaford Schools and Community to endorse the value of community service. Our Memorial Brick program is ongoing. The bricks line our Memorial pathway.
On September 11, 2023 Jillian Padavan (Patriot Award 2018) and Gianna Cesario (Patriot Award 2021) will present to Seaford Superintendent Adele Pecora the SHS 9/11 $2,000 donation for the 2024 Senior class trip to the NYC 9/11 Museum as well as hundreds of ‘Commitment for Service Forms’, completed by Seaford students, Seaford teachers and staff, the Seaford community organizations and Seaford residents.