9/11 SHS Memorial Fund, Inc. is a not-for-profit corporation established to honor the memory of five Seaford High School graduates who died in the September 11, 2001 attack on the World Trade Center. We remember and honor the memories of Thomas Haskell, Timothy Haskell, John Perry, Robert Sliwak and Michael Wittenstein.
The Seaford 9/11 Memorial Committee’s motto is SERVICE, CHARACTER, and COMMITMENT. The committee has lived up to the commitment made by so many after the terrorist attack on our country to “Always Remember.” On November 22, 2002, the Seaford High School 9/11 Memorial was dedicated to our five alumni and all those who perished on September 11, 2001. The overwhelming support from the Seaford community has been the committee’s inspiration for numerous annual initiatives, such as:
- Annual Patriot Award scholarships have been presented each year since June 2002. Eighty-six Seaford High School graduating students since 2002 have received an amount in excess of $190,000.
- Honorary Patriot Awards have been bestowed upon forty-six individuals who have made significant contributions to our community.
- Since September 2003, there has been a 9/11 Memorial Candle-lighting Ceremony in front of our memorial at Seaford High School on every September 11th and each year more than 2000 individuals attend the ceremony.
- Since June 2003, a Patriot Award dinner is held every June to honor the recipients of both the Patriot Award and Honorary Patriot Award.
- The Seaford 9/11 Memorial Committee’s ongoing mission to educate students about the historical events of September 11, 2001 and the value of community service has included donations of 9/11 history books, field trips to the National 9/11 Memorial in New York City, and sponsored assemblies pertinent to service, patriotism and the events of September 11, 2001.
- Since 2009, in recognition of September 11th as a National Day of Commitment to Service, hundreds of community members and students have presented Pledges of Commitment for Community Service to both Senator Charles E. Schumer and Congressman Peter T. King for presentation on the floor of the United States Congress.
- Our Commitment to Service program has inspired the addition of a School / Community Service recognition on the Seaford High School diploma.
- Three World Trade Center artifacts and a Survivor Tree cutting were added to our memorial and were dedicated during our 9/11 candle lighting ceremony in 2016.
- The Memorial Brick Program continues to memorialize individuals and generates funds in support of the maintenance and preservation of the memorial.